Wellston Park was built on 37 acres of land donated by the Bayer Family and Charlie McGlamry to the city of Warner Robins back in 1997. The park's initial phase began in 2014 and included a walking trail, dog park, pavilion and restroom building was finished in 2018.
Gary Martin, the son of former Warner Robins Mayor Ed Martin, and Chairman of the Board for Cherished Children who donated a 2,000-square-foot house to the park project that is believed to have been built in 1927 on Elberta Road. The house was moved to the park early on, and with remodeling will be re-purposed to serve as office and meeting room space.
Most of the city's parks are geared toward sports recreational activities, as a passive recreational area Wellston Park will offer something different. The next phase is now being planned for the construction of a 500 - 1,000 seat amphitheatre, remodeling of the "Coleman Cottage" (named for Jean Coleman, Founder of Cherished Children), and paving of the existing trail and parking area.
Recently, Wellston Trees and Greens has also made opportunities available to honor, memorialize or sponsor park benches and/or picnic areas in various areas of the park. This fundraising effort serves to provide funding for our "Advocating, Educating and Engagement for passive parks, trails and green spaces in the Warner Robins area". Those opportunities are available on our website.
Warner Robins Nature Center & Botanical Gardens
WRNC is a collaborative project from GMC-Warner Robins and Keep Warner Robins Beautiful. We are open the first Saturday of every month from 9am-1pm.