The creation and beginning of Wellston Park. Wellston Park was built on 37 acres of land donated by the Bayer Family and Charlie McGlamry to the city of Warner Robins back in 1997. The park's initial phase began in 2014 and included a walking trail, dog park, pavilion, and restroom building that was finished in 2018.
Gary Martin, the son of former Warner Robins Mayor Ed Martin, and Chairman of the Board for Cherished Children who donated a 2,000-square-foot house to the park project that is believed to have been built in 1927 on Elberta Road. The house was moved to the park early on, and with remodeling will be re-purposed to serve as office and meeting room space.
Most of the city's parks are geared toward sports recreational activities, as a passive recreational area Wellston Park will offer something different. The next phase now being considered is the completion of the interior of the “Coleman Cottage” (appropriately named in honor of Ms. Jean Coleman who founded Cherished Children) so that it can serve as meeting rooms and office spaces. These can be utilized to serve not only the city, but also various non-profits that serve the community in regards to its passive parks, trails, and green space. Secondly, is the construction of a small amphitheater stage area that could serve up to 250 in attendance, and thirdly is the paving of the existing 1-mile trail and additional parking area. Recently, Wellston Trees and Greens have also made opportunities available to honor, memorialize or sponsor park benches and/or picnic areas in various areas of the park and along Wellston Trail. This fundraising effort serves to provide funding for our "Advocating, Educating and Engagement for passive parks, trails and green spaces in the Warner Robins area".